Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From Anne Knapp, Tacoma, Washington, as submitted to BH&G. Uses frozen white bread dough to save time. If you like Swiss cheese, onions and bacon, what's not to like?
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 16 ounces frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled or 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seeds (may add more to taste) or 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed, for garnish (may add more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Either grease a cookie sheet, or place ungreased silpat sheet on cookie sheet.
- In a small skillet cook onion in butter or margarine until tender.
- On floured surface roll out bread dough to a 17x7-inch rectangle, spread cooked onion over dough.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese and bacon on top.
- Roll up jelly-roll fashion from the long side, pinching edges to seal.
- Place roll, seam side down, on cookie sheet. Score top of loaf crosswise, making cuts 1/4-inch deep.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place 30-45 minutes or until almost double.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush top of bread with egg; sprinkle with poppy seed or dill seed.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Note: to reheat, wrap in foil and heat in 400-degree-Fahrenheit oven for 15-20 minutes.).