Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Onions feature very prominent in Swiss cuisine, onion tarts, pies and onion salads are found on the menu of country inns all over Switzerland. This marinated salad hails from the city of Lucerne and makes a delicious side to burgers and grilled hot dogs. It tastes wonderful served at room temperature with some crusty bread and a glass of Swiss white wine.
- 2 cups onions, sliced into half moons
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil (sunflower oil works well)
- 2 -3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, or
- 2 -3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- coriander seed, or
- caraway seed
- black peppercorns
- coarse salt
- In a salad bowl whisk oil and vinegar together.
- Put pepper corns, coriander seeds, caraway seeds if using, rosemary and coarse salt to taste into a mortar and crush with the use of a pestle, whisk into the marinade, set aside.
- Fry the onions and garlic in a medium hot pan until golden, drain and while still hot, add to the marinade, mix to combine.
- Can be enjoyed room temp or cold.