Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Fantasticly Enhanced oatmeal. Dry mixture will keep for up to 2 months. Suggest dried fruit ingredient be Berries N' Cherries (chopped). Found recipe years ago in "What's For Breakfast - Light & Easy Morning Meals For Busy People". Prep time is making the mix (one time)
- 1 (1 ounce) packagechopped mixed dried fruit
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ, toasted
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (suggest toasted)
- 1⁄4 cup shelled dry roasted sunflower seeds
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
- Prep for 1 serving: Bring 1 cup water to boil in small saucepan and add 1/2 cup mix.
- Cook stirring frequently for 1 minute.
- Cover and let stand 2 minutes.
- Note: Personally, I use the microwave.
- 1/3 cup mix to 2/3 cup water.
- Put the water and mix in a bowl.
- Nuke on high until oatmeal bubbles to (and just about across) the top of the bowl (@1 1/2 minutes).
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add milk, sugar, or whatever else seems interesting.
Very tasty oatmeal! Loved the nuttiness that the wheat germ, almonds and sunflower seeds added. I used dried cranberries for the fruit and enjoyed a great breakfast - thanks for posting the recipe!
I've been making this with a few personal changes for many years. I always add a shake of ground cinnamon in the bottom of the large cup I use. I put it in first because it seems to blend in better than putting it on top. Also, raisins are part of the deal because my other half likes them. Thanks for the starter recipe, Satisfied Kris.