Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A friend of mentioned how much she loves Swiss cheese balls, so I went on a search to find a recipe. Here's one from several different recipes I found on the web! My friend just had hip surgery done and I'm looking for ways to surprise her and keep her spirits up. I think this will do it, it's good! :)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a shredded cheddar or mozzarella mix)
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are good, I haven't tried toasted but I bet that would be good)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped (optional- you may also use chopped fresh parsley, or fresh thyme)
- Place cheddar, Swiss, and cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, black pepper, and garlic salt in a medium bowl.
- Place in a food processor and pulse until well blended.
- In bowl, place nuts and chives, if using. Stir to mix.
- Shape mixture into a ball, roll in the chopped nuts and chives(if using).
- Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve with raw vegetables or crackers.
This cheese ball was very yummy! I really liked the cheddar with the swiss cheese and the spices. I didnt use the worcestershire sauce though because I couldnt find a vegetarian one, but I think it would have made the end product too salty for me anyway. Instead of the nuts I used sunflower seeds and I liked the earthy note they gave the cheese ball.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing this tasty treat with us, Sharon!
Made and reviewed for my chosen chef during Veggie Swap #49 August 2012.
This was a big hit with others that I shared with...I would have liked more of a swiss cheese flavor. I did halve the recipe and it was still huge. I used sharp cheddar, as I couldn't find the blend mentioned but next time, for myself, I may replace cheddar with a milder white cheese, say mozzarella. I rolled in pecans and served with club crackers and wheat thins. Thanks for sharing, Sharon. I will share this with others, especially over the holidays, as I feel this would make a lovely gift, with a cheese spreader and some water crackers.