Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Swiss Cheese Press-In Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb fresh brown button mushrooms or 1 lb white mushroom, cleaned
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Make the crust: add flour to a large bowl; cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Blend in the cheese and sour cream until the mixture resembles moist crumbs.
- Press the crust into a 9-inch glass quiche pan or pie pan; bake it for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Make the filling: heat the butter in a heavy skillet; add in the garlic; stir over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add 8 mushroom caps to the pan; cook just until glazed, 1-2 minutes; remove them and reserve.
- Slice the remaining mushrooms with stems and add to the pan.
- Cook and stir until the mushrooms are browned and any released liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the baked crust.
- Top the cheese with the mushrooms, then the remaining cheese.
- Mix the salt, cream, and eggs together; pour into the pan, covering the ingredients evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted just off center comes out clean.
- About 5 minutes before removing the pie from the oven, place the reserved mushroom caps on top of the pie, spacing them evenly around the edge.
- Serve the pie hot or at room temperature.
- The pie can be baked a day ahead, refrigerated, warmed in a ̀300° oven for 10 minutes before serving.