Recipe by loof
Great as a side dish or an appetizer.
Top Review by I'mPat
Made this using 3 individual wholemeal/grain lunch rolls (didn't use poppy seeds as the rolls already had sesame seeds on top plus other seeds throughout the roll) and used presliced swiss cheese in which I had cut each slice into 9 squares and using 2 slices per roll (a total of 18 squares per roll) put each of squares in the openings with sliced button mushrooms. Drizzled with the butter mix (made full quantity with a little extra garlic) could have cut back on this but what the heck, wrapped in the alfoil and put to one side to bake in a couple of hours time. Baked for 25 minutes (but was wishing I had opened the packets and baked for a couple of minutes opened to crisp them up). As was we (the DS. DM and I) thoroughly enjoyed with soup for a great dinner. Thank you loof, made for Please Review My Recipe.
- 1 loaf round unsliced bread (not sweet)
- 8 ounces swiss cheese
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a serrated knife, cut bread diagonally into 1-inch thick slices to within 1 inch of the bottom of the loaf. Repeat in the opposite direction.
- Cut the Swiss cheese into 1/2 inch cubes. Stuff cheese cubes and mushroom slices into the slits in the bread.
- Combine the butter, poppy seeds, minced garlic, seasoned salt, ground mustard, and lemon juice in a microwavable dish. Cover and microwave on high for about 2 minutes, until butter is melted. Stir to combine well.
- Spoon butter mixture over bread.
- Wrap bread in foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.