Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe I found in Taste of Home that I modified a bit for my tastes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter flavored cracker, crushed (about 25 crackers)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or use seasoned salt for extra flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices deli ham (or thinly sliced hard salami)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. Combine cracker crumbs and salt and pepper in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs; set aside.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in remaining butter for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Top each chicken breast half with a ham slice, onions, mushrooms and a cheese slice. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Delish! Some of my with very favorite ingredients all in one dish. This was simple to make and with great results. Thanks for sharing, Lynn. Made for your football win. Congrats again!
Loved this recipe! My DH said I can make this anytime which puts it into a 10 star rating! Chicken was tender and the ham a nice, smoky touch. Really enjoyed the mushroom/onion mixture which gave it that extra oomph! Made for CC 2014.
What a delicious dish...and so easy to prepare...I used chicken tenderloins...put two side by side with the toppings on top...saved the step of flatten out the chicken...we loved the onion/mushroom mixture...keeping this recipe close by...thanks for posting it...=)