Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe I found in Taste of Home that I modified a bit for my tastes.
Make and share this Swiss Mushroom Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter flavored cracker, crushed (about 25 crackers)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or use seasoned salt for extra flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices deli ham (or thinly sliced hard salami)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. Combine cracker crumbs and salt and pepper in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs; set aside.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in remaining butter for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Top each chicken breast half with a ham slice, onions, mushrooms and a cheese slice. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Loved this recipe! My DH said I can make this anytime which puts it into a 10 star rating! Chicken was tender and the ham a nice, smoky touch. Really enjoyed the mushroom/onion mixture which gave it that extra oomph! Made for CC 2014.
What a delicious dish...and so easy to prepare...I used chicken tenderloins...put two side by side with the toppings on top...saved the step of flatten out the chicken...we loved the onion/mushroom mixture...keeping this recipe close by...thanks for posting it...=)
Absolutely fantastic flavor and so easy to prepare! Made for ZWT 7 Count Dracula and his Hot Bites.