Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from Betty Crocker's International Cookbook. I had something similar at a wonderful local Swiss restaurant.
Top Review by LAURIE
Heather I have been looking for this recipe for ages. Made them into heart shapes using a pastry bag and was so EZ and so special for Valentines Day. A small dollop of chocolate ice cream, the whipped creama and the strawberries. Super special "fancy" dessert....TY bunches!
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in the sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time; continue to beat until stiff and glossy.
- Don't under beat!
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, drop small mounds of meringue batter onto the parchment.
- Try to get then into circular or oval shapes, using an icing spatula if needed.
- Bake at 225 F (preheated) for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and leave them inside for 1 hour without opening the oven door.
- Remove meringues from baking sheet and press an indentation in the base of each- using your thumb gently.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Beat cream and powdered sugar together until stiff.
- Fold 1/4 of the sliced fruit into the whipped cream and use to fill the indentations on the cooled meringues.
- Decorate with remaining berry slices.
- Fill meringues only when ready to serve.