Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
This grilled cheese features Swiss cheese, tomato and basil.
- 8 slices Italian bread, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 4 slices reduced-fat swiss cheese, each cut in half
- 8 slices tomatoes (thin slices)
- salt (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- Spread outside of each piece of bread with 1 t butter.
- Layer 4 slices of bread with 2 pieces of cheese and 2 slices of tomato each.
- Salt and pepper, if desired.
- Top each sandwich evenly with the basil and 1 slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place 1 sandwich into skillet.
- Cook, turning once, until sandwich is golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
I loved this even better than using mozzarella with tomato and basil in a melted sandwich. I made it into a panini and will do so often
These were very popular today! I took the basic recipe, and made panini with it. I used a sourdough Italian loaf, plum tomatoes and fresh pesto instead of the basil leaves. I spread the pesto (thickly) on the slices of bread, then layered on some swiss (I used emmenthauler), some slices of tomato, more swiss, and the remaining slices of bread, pesto side down. We cooked these in our commercial panini press until gooey, and they were LOVED. They were very easy, very pretty, and different enough to cause some talk. Thank you for the idea, Lainey! Next time I might put a couple of thin slices of red onion in the middle.