Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
You can make 4 1 lb loafs with this recipe to freeze ahead for later use. This is a great way to make 4 easy main dishes for your small family. Adjust to taste...this is just a general idea of possible ingredients.
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Mix the first 9 ingredients together until well mixed.
- Shape into 4 loaves.
- Flatten each loaf on waxed paper and shape into a rectangle.
- Cover each rectangle with 2 pieces of swiss cheese.
- Roll up as for a jelly roll.
- Cover each loaf with an 8 oz can of tomato sauce (you can spice this up if you want).
- To Serve, defrost and bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until done.
I don't like swiss cheese so I made this with provolone. It was very good but the cheese melted inside the loaf and disappeared. I would make this again...maybe without the cheese for fewer calories.
These were good but my family just wasn't thrilled with the taste of the swiss cheese in them. We love swiss but it just didn't seem to fit in a meatloaf with tomato sauce. Not a terrible recipe just not to our liking.