Recipe by MarieRynr
Great for apres ski. In Switzerland it is called Alpler Magrone, and is served with apple sauce.
Top Review by RotiJala
Yummy! I know this 'coz I moved there 3 years ago. :) My version uses self-made bechamel sauce and caramelized onions. Extra yumsome! The applesauce eaten with it really adds a nice, mildly sweet touch although it might sound strange to some folk.
- 10 ounces elbow macaroni
- 10 ounces firm waxy potatoes, roughly diced
- 5 ounces streaky bacon, rinds removed and diced small
- 7 ounces whipping cream
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 ounce butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Lightly butter a large ovenproof gratin dish.
- Cook the macaroni and potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes, until just tender.
- Dry fry the bacon in a large non stick pan until lightly golden.
- Pour in the cream and season with nutmeg and fresh ground pepper.
- Drain the macaroni and potatoes well and stir them into the bacon and cream.
- Spoon half into the prepared dish, sprinkle with half the parmesan, then spoon remaining mixture on top, finishing off with remaining parmesan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Meanwhile melt the butter ina frying pan, and cook sliced onion for 5 to 6 minutes til golden.
- Serve the baked macaroni with the onion slices scattered on the top.