1/1 Photo of Swiss, Ham, Potato Soup
Susie in Texas's Note:
One of my most requested "soup of the day" recipes from when I was in the food business. Swiss cheese gives this soup the most delectable flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook diced potatoes in saucepan with just enough water to cover.
- 2When tender, drain the liquid from the potatoes and save.
- 3Set both aside while making roux.
- 4In large saucepan, melt margarine.
- 5Saute the chopped green onions until tender.
- 6Remove onion from pan and set aside.
- 7Add flour to melted margarine and stir until incorporated.
- 8Cook over medium heat until the roux begins to just turn a golden color.
- 9Using a whisk, stir in 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of the saved potato liquid.
- 10Whisk until smooth and no lumps are seen.
- 11Bring just to a boil or until the soup thickens.
- 12Add the diced ham, cooked onion and the Swiss cheese.
- 13Stir until cheese is melted.
- 14Add salt& pepper to your preference.
- 15I usually add 1 tsp.
- 16salt and 1/2 tsp.
- 18Stir well.
- 19If soup is too thick, you may add the final cup of milk.
- 20My bunch likes it thick.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss, Ham, Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.7
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 106.2 mg
- Sodium 427.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 33.8 g