Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my most requested "soup of the day" recipes from when I was in the food business. Swiss cheese gives this soup the most delectable flavor.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 -3 cups milk
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- salt and black pepper
- Cook diced potatoes in saucepan with just enough water to cover.
- When tender, drain the liquid from the potatoes and save.
- Set both aside while making roux.
- In large saucepan, melt margarine.
- Saute the chopped green onions until tender.
- Remove onion from pan and set aside.
- Add flour to melted margarine and stir until incorporated.
- Cook over medium heat until the roux begins to just turn a golden color.
- Using a whisk, stir in 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of the saved potato liquid.
- Whisk until smooth and no lumps are seen.
- Bring just to a boil or until the soup thickens.
- Add the diced ham, cooked onion and the Swiss cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add salt& pepper to your preference.
- I usually add 1 tsp.
- salt and 1/2 tsp.
- Stir well.
- If soup is too thick, you may add the final cup of milk.
- My bunch likes it thick.
We really enjoyed this soup, Susie! Loved the combination of ingredients. Can't wait to make it again experimenting with other types of cheese. Your instructions are easy to follow. I added just a little bit more milk to thin it out a bit. Thanks you for sharing such a great soup recipe. :-)
Hubby and I really liked this soup. I made it exactly how you said and added the extra cup of milk. Hubby added Tobasco but he likes everything spicy. We love thick soups and this was just prefect. I will definately be adding into my recipe rotation!!
We really enjoyed your soup tonight. I pureed 3/4 of it in the food processor and added a pinch of ground mustard, cayenne, and garlic salt, as well as the recommened pepper. When I made the base I used fat free half and half for part of the milk called for in the recipe. Really thick, really filling, really good. I can see why it was such a hit at your food business.