Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
IMHO this is the best ham casserole ever. The Swiss cheese adds divine flavor. I got this recipe from my school principal's wife. Thanks, Eunice! This is perfect for potlucks or sit-down dinners or as a treat for a sick neighbor. It's a little more work but the flavor makes you glad you made it!
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 cups cooked cubed ham
- 3 cups cooked cubed red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- If you do not have leftover cooked red potatoes, cook them first. Cool them enough to handle and cube them. Shred the cheese and cube the ham.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 1-1/2 quart casserole; reserve.
- Saute the onion in the 2 tablespoons butter until tender, not browned. Blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add the cheese and when melted, stir in the ham and potatoes, being gentle with the stirring.
- Turn into prepared casserole.
- Prepare the topping. Combine the crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
I made this exactly as directed and it was a winner with my hubby. I thought it a bit bland but I tend to like spicier intense flavors. This would be a hit with any picky eaters.
This is the third time we have made this dish and we have just now noticed that we have never reviewed it. So here goes...FANTASTIC! We use chopped green onions istead of the regular.
We really enjoyed this recipe. I used 5 slices of swiss cheese because it was what I had available. I also topped the casserole with crushed butter crackers rather than the topping suggested (easier for me). This was great. Thanks!