Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
IMHO this is the best ham casserole ever. The Swiss cheese adds divine flavor. I got this recipe from my school principal's wife. Thanks, Eunice! This is perfect for potlucks or sit-down dinners or as a treat for a sick neighbor. It's a little more work but the flavor makes you glad you made it!
Top Review by JulieCHopp
I made this exactly as directed and it was a winner with my hubby. I thought it a bit bland but I tend to like spicier intense flavors. This would be a hit with any picky eaters.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 cups cooked cubed ham
- 3 cups cooked cubed red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- If you do not have leftover cooked red potatoes, cook them first. Cool them enough to handle and cube them. Shred the cheese and cube the ham.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 1-1/2 quart casserole; reserve.
- Saute the onion in the 2 tablespoons butter until tender, not browned. Blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add the cheese and when melted, stir in the ham and potatoes, being gentle with the stirring.
- Turn into prepared casserole.
- Prepare the topping. Combine the crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.