Recipe by Happy Hippie
This recipe is being submitted for ZWT III. It was submitted by Corwynn Darholme. The introductory statement was: "Here's a taste of Switzerland. This robust beef stew, from the mountainous Grison region, is perfect to keep out winter chills and to satisfy even the hungriest skier."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket
- 1 cabbage, large head
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut out the main stem of the cabbage and discard the thick stems of the outer leaves. Wash well and boil for 5 minutes in salted water.
- Drain and reserve.
- Heat the butter in a heavy ovenproof casserole dish.
- Fry the bacon and onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add bay leaves, salt, pepper and a pinch of Nutmeg.
- Cut meat into thick slices and place on the bacon and onion mixture.
- Add wine and beef stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add a layer of cabbage Leaves, cover tightly.
- Simmer very gently for another hour.