Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a nice change from the traditional green bean casserole. I like it much better. This is my sister-in-law's recipe. She knows she has to bring it to all family functions and that the leftovers (if there are any) are all mine! Prep time includes the time it takes to cook the frozen green beans before assembling the casserole.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups drained cooked frozen string beans (french style green beans)
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Melt 2 tbsp butter, stir in flour, salt, pepper, sugar, onion.
- Add sour cream gradually until smooth.
- Add beans.
- Mix together and heat thoroughly.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Grate cheese over top.
- Crush cornflakes and mix with melted butter.
- Put on top of beans.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes at 400.
This was DELICIOUS!!! From now on this will be the Green Bean Casserole I make!!
Some of my guests at Thanksgiving this year do not like mushrooms, so I had to find a way to make our "traditional" green bean casserole without the mushrooms. Finding this recipe was a godsend. Everyone at the table tried some and most everyone had seconds. Thanks for a "great" change for green beans.
I LOVED this recipe, my family was not as impressed but they are not huge green bean fans either. This was really good and a nice change from the "other" green bean casserole, I am looking foreward to the leftovers today. I followed the recipe exactly except the addition of a bit of garlic powder added to the crumb mixture.