1 hr 10 mins
From the Women's Institute Book of Soup that I borrowed from our local library. This sounds wonderful, can't wait to try it out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter in a large lidded saucepan, stir in the onions, garlic and sugar and toss to coat in butter. Fry gently for 20 mins until rich golden brown and softened.
- 2pour in the chicken stock and wine, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for at least 30 mins more if time allows - you want the onions to break down.
- 3Gradually stir in the Gruyere over a low heat.
- 4Blend the cornflour (cornstarch) to a smooth paste with the Kirsch and spoon a ladle of hot soup into the cornflour and stir well. Return this mix to the pan and keep stirring until soup thickens.
- 5Season to taste with nutmeg salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 6Hand round bowls of croutons and extra grated gruyere to top the soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Fondue Style Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.9
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 372.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 14.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: