Recipe by lindseylcw
From the Women's Institute Book of Soup that I borrowed from our local library. This sounds wonderful, can't wait to try it out.
Top Review by susie cooks
Great soup Lindsey!! I love that the cheese is in the soup and not melted on top. I simmered the recipe for 20 minutes and then added the cheeses The cheese stuck to the onions so it is fun (and messy) to eat. It smelled wonderful while cooking. Served this with toasted baguette slices. made for ZWT 5.
- 50 g butter
- 900 g onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 850 ml chicken stock
- 425 ml dry white wine
- 175 g gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons kirsch or 2 tablespoons vermouth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large lidded saucepan, stir in the onions, garlic and sugar and toss to coat in butter. Fry gently for 20 mins until rich golden brown and softened.
- pour in the chicken stock and wine, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for at least 30 mins more if time allows - you want the onions to break down.
- Gradually stir in the Gruyere over a low heat.
- Blend the cornflour (cornstarch) to a smooth paste with the Kirsch and spoon a ladle of hot soup into the cornflour and stir well. Return this mix to the pan and keep stirring until soup thickens.
- Season to taste with nutmeg salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Hand round bowls of croutons and extra grated gruyere to top the soup.