Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Elegant and flavorful, Easy enough to whip up often for your family. Stylish enough to impress your guest, and yummy and easy enough to make it just for yourself -- Don't be fooled by the short list of spcies. the butter, wine, broth, oregano, and pepper fuse to make a fabulous burst of flavor.
- 2 slices swiss cheese, thin
- 4 (4 ounce) chicken cutlets, 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- fresh oregano sprig (to garnish)
- Version 1: lot's of work, but impressive looking.
- Cut each cheese slice in half; place 1 half on top of each cutlet.
- Starting with the short end, tightly roll up cutlets, jelly-roll style.
- Tie securely with string.
- On waxed paper, combine flour and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Add cutlets; toss gently to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add cutlets; cook, turning frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, wine, and dried oregano to skillet.
- Increase heat; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer thickened, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove string.
- Garnish with parsley and oregano sprigs.
- To prepare the chicken rolls, tightly roll up cheese-topped cutlets, then tie securely with string so the rolls hold their shape during cooking.
- If cutlets are unavailable at your market, simply pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves between 2 sheets of waxed paper to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Version 2: Much easier to make, tastes just as good!
- Follow directions as above, only don't bother to flatten the chicen or roll the cheese in side it.
- Simplly coat plain chicken breast in the flour pepper mixture, fry in the butter and cook as above.
- When chicken is almost done, top each brest with a half slice of cheese.
- When cheese melts, it's done.
- Very good served over rice.
Loved this! Followed the easy directions and thought it all was amazing. Would love more sauce next time (made white rice and wasn't much to put over it). Will definitely make again!
I make this with monterrey jack cheese, since I have picky eaters at my house. It comes out just as good. It's a really great combination of flavors!!