Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Darlene Kossman. It is from Better Homes and Gardens bonus book; a very old recipe; looks very pretty though; good for Valentine's day. it is an amazing cake easy to do would be a hit at pot lucks
- 19 ounces white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- red food coloring
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 3 cups whipped topping
- Mix cake mix with egg whites, oil, and water. 4 egg whites are 1/2 a cup you could use egg beaters egg whites
- Add almond extract to batter.
- Remove 1/3 of the batter to another bowl; stir in 10 to12 drops red food coloring.( i used cherry juice ).
- Spoon pink and white batters alternately into two greased and floured 9x1-1/2 inch cake pans.
- Cut though batter with a knife to marble.
- Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Stir together pie filling and grated orange peel.
- In another bowl mix Cool Whip with 8 to 10 drops red food coloring.
- Place one cake on a serving plate.
- Make a border of whipping topping on edge 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch tall; fill with 1/2 the cherry pie filling mixture.
- Top with second layer.
- Make another border of whipped topping; fill with remaining cherry pie filling mixture on top.
- Frost sides with remaining topping.
- Chill 3 hours.
I remember this recipe from late 70's early 80's when I made it for many special occasions. The picture looks more sloppy than the cake I make. I am glad to find the recipe again as it was delicious and different.