Recipe by Red Apple Guy
A yeast-raised sourdough that includes rye flour and Swiss cheese, a favorite combination of mine. Prep time includes resting times.
- 168 g sourdough starter (equal weights flour and water) or 3⁄4 cup sourdough starter (equal weights flour and water)
- 115 g room temp water or 1⁄2 cup water
- 115 g rye flour or 7⁄8 cup rye flour or 15 tablespoons rye flour
- 150 g all-purpose flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- 7 g salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 5 g instant yeast or 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 140 g swiss cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the ingredients except cheese,.
- knead for 2 or 3 min, stretch and fold (letter style, top to bottom, bottom to top and from side to side without tearing) and place in oiled straight-sided clear container.
- Stretch and fold after 15 minutes, cover and rest for another 15 minutes. Stretch and fold once more and return to container.
- Cover container and place in fridge.
- When twice the volume (3 hours) lightly flatten, cover and allow to warrn about 1 hour.
- spread cheese on top and roll into desired shape.
- Preheat oven and an empty pan to 400F, adding water to the pan when oven is up to temperature.
- 45 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- bake for 12 min and rotate loaves, removing pan.
- bake for 15 min more until 205 internally.
- Cool on rack.