Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 lb good swiss cheese, grated
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Fry onions in butter until soft (transparent) let cool.
- Mix eggs, cheese, milk, salt & pepper with the cooled onions.
- Fill two 9" uncooked pie shells and bake for 15 minutes at 450°F degrees then at 350°F degrees for 30 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
- May be eaten warm or cold.
useing baby swiss cheese makes it taste really good
In 1950, I was discharged from the U.S.Navy and I went to work for a Swiss Bakery. One of the specialities we baked was "swiss cheese and onion pei". I have been hunting for the recipe for years. This recipe comes closer than any thing yet with a couple of exceptions. We added a small amount of RASS CASE, (german for sharp cheese) and we lined regular pie pans with yellow egg yeast dough. Kind of like a Swiss verson of piza. A cold beer and a hot slice of "Chese and onion pie" on a 115 deg. Las Vegas day, whats not to love. Can't waite to try this. Best 73s Dewey email@example.com
I have been making this recipe for about 25 years. EVERYone loves it every time. So simple, yet so delicious!