Recipe by EmmyLynn
I'm not sure where I found this recipe- I've had it for years. It's truly amazing!
Top Review by sofie-a-toast
I almost just posted this recipe myself! It's one of my favorites and comes from The Moosewood Cookbook. The only difference is that I use 1/4 tsp dry mustard instead of Tabasco sauce and I sprinkle paprika on top which adds a nice color and a little extra flavor.
- 1 pie crust (Homemade is ALWAYS best)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch thyme
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed grated swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Melt butter in small pan. Add onions & saute over medium heat. When they begin to soften, add mushrooms, salt, pepper & thyme. Saute 5 minutes more and remove from heat.
- Combine eggs, milk, Tabasco, and flour in a blender or food processer.
- Spread cheese over bottom of pie crust, and spread onion/mushroom mixture on top. Pour egg mixture over that and top with tomato slices. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until solid in center. Test by inserting a knife in the center. If it comes out clean, the quiche is done.