from the internet for ZW7
Make and share this Swiss Cheese Fondue (Kaesefondue) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs cheese (Gouda, Emmentaler or GruyÃ Æ' re, or a mixture)
- 4 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fine flour
- 1 tablespoon kirschwasser
- lemon juice
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 -2 loaf ready-to-use baked pizza crust, fresh white French bread cut into cubes
- mushroom, halved (optional)
- raw vegetables, lightly steamed
- Grate the cheese. Rub the fondue pot with the garlic clove. Warm 2 cups of wine in the pot and add the cheese, one handful at a time, stirring while it melts. Keep stirring or the cheese may clump.
- Stir the flour into the Kirschwasser, then add it slowly to the pot. Even if the cheese is clumping a bit, this addition should help smooth it out. Add a little lemon juice (less than a tablespoon) and add pepper and freshly grated nutmeg to taste. Add more wine as necessary, to thin the fondue until it coats a piece of bread, but doesn’t take half the pot with it.
- Take the fondue pot to the table and place in on its stand with a lighted Sterno can under it.
- Eat the fondue by stabbing the bread cubes or vegetables with a fondue fork (a long handled, 2-prong, skinny fork with barbs so the bread doesn’t fall into the pot). Dip the bread into the cheese and swirl a bit to coat. Let it cool a few seconds before eating.