Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A popular and simple dish in Switzerland. The cheese is key. A good melting Gruyere is best. If you're lucky enough to get your hands on some great Swiss Alpine Pasture cheese, it would be fabulous in this recipe.
- 2 slices stale French bread
- 2 slices swiss cheese (a full fat type that melts well, such as gruyere)
- 1 tablespoon brandy (a good apple, quince or cherry brandy)
- black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, sliced
- Toast the bread slices.
- Cut the garlic clove in half and rub each half on one of the toasted bread slices.
- Sprinkle the brandy over the bread slices.
- Cover the bread slices with the cheese. Place on a sheet pan and place in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melts (about 5 minutes).
- Top each slice with some fresh cracked black pepper and serve hot with sliced cucumbers.