Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great way to eat broccoli. It comes from the good housekeeping cookbook.
Make and share this Swiss Cheese Broccoli recipe from Food.com.
- Grease a 10" by 6" baking dish. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In 2 quart saucepan over high heat,in 1 inch boiling water, heat broccoli and 1/2 tsp salt to boiling.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes;Drain;Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; Stir in flour and 1 tsp of salt until smooth.
- Add onion and cook 1 minute
- Slowly stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil; remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese and broccoli until cheese melts slightly; stir in eggs.
- Pour into baking dish and bake 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
We all enjoyed this. I used frozen broccoli instead of fresh but followed the rest of the recipe as written. Made for Spring PAC 2010.
This is a family favorite of ours. My kids love it, and it is a "must have" for Thanksgiving dinner. It is also great to bring to potluck suppers. Someone once told me, "I don't like broccoli and I don't like swiss cheese, but I love your casserole!" It is very mild tasting....the swiss cheese flavor is mild and blended with everything else. Highly recommend! TIP: Add the steamed broccoli to the cheese mixture, instead of the other way around as the recipe advises! Much easier and less messy (and same end result).