Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
from the Moosewood Cookbook
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups thinly-sliced onions
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water or 2 cups stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups warmed milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (more, to taste)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tamari
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Heat 2 tbs. butter in a saucepan. Add garlic, onion, mustard and salt. Saute until tender.
- Add water. Cover and simmer over low heat.
- In a separate saucepan, melt remaining 3 Tbs. butter. Whisk in 3 Tbs. flour and cook, whisking over low heat, one minute.
- Add milk. Cook, whisking, until uniform and thick, 5-8 minutes.
- Add horseradish, Sherry and cheese.
- Add cheese sauce to onion and mix thoroughly. Add pepper, tamari, Tabasco and Worcestershire. Cook over low heat 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste, then serve with some fresh grated cheese on top.
Five stars isn't enough for this delicious soup. Exceptional flavors! The only change I might make next time is to cook the onions longer so that they are a bit carmelized. Thank you for sharing.