Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
An All-Time favorite with a twist of swiss cheese and peas. A dish that becomes more addictive with every bite! Talk about Comfort Food.
- In a 2 to 3 quart sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, add the salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Reduce the heat to low and let sauce simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees and, on the stove top, cook the macaroni according to pkg.
- directions, drain and place in a large bowl.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, add the swiss cheese and stir until it melts.
- Combine the sauce, cubed ham and peas with the drained macaroni.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into a 11x8x2" dish.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Absolutely fantastic. Another thing to do is to cook it using bacon instead of ham. But either way, it's fantastic.
I loved it! I'm on a low-FODMAP diet so I had to make a few substitutions: brown rice macaroni pasta; Finlandia lactose-free swiss cheese slices broken into small pieces; lactose-free, plain kefir in place of whole milk; and gluten-free flour. Note:The kefir and gf flour were very thick, so I added a little bit of water to thin it out. Lastly, I omitted the green peas which are no-no on the low FODMAP diet.
Flavors were yummy. Brought back memories of croque monsieurs. I may experiment and try adding a little mayonnaise and smidgeon of dijon mustard next time. I will definitely be making this again.
YUMMY! I took it to a pot-luck dinner and it was a huge hit. Made a few changes: added sauteed onion (as Grammy Bunny suggested) and doubled the ham. I also mixed the Parmesan with 1/2 stack saltines (crushed) and 1/4 c. melted butter. I spread this topping on 10 minutes prior to taking it out of the oven. Will make this, again! NOTE: Prep was more like an hour.