Recipe by ~~Di~Lo~~
Mmmm, a lovely loaf that may be frozen ahead of time for a lovely addition to breakfast. The slices may also be toasted. This recipe is courtey of the Dairy Farmers of Canada.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups swiss cheese, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan, or line pans with parchment paper.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt 3 Tbsp butter and cook apples until soft. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cool.
- I a large bowl, combine dry ingedients with diced Swiss cheese. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter with brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually add milk, vanilla and apple mixture.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the well of dry ingredients and stir with wooden spoom until combined. Don't over-mix. Spread batter in prepared loaf pan. If desired insert more sliced apples on top.
- Bake in centre of oven for 1 hour. Loaf is ready when a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Sprinkle with icing sugar is desired after cool down.
- While loaf is baking, prepare the rest of the breakfast: Juice, yogurt, fresh fruit and coffee!
- NOTE: Can be ladled into muffin cups to bake for 15 - 20 minutes depending on their size if time is a factor.
- Batter may be prepared the day before, refigerated and baked in the morning - allow for a little extra baking time (10 - 15 minutes) if mixture is cold from fridge.
- Freezes very well.