1/3 Photos of SWISS CHARred By GREEK Dolmades
This is Swiss Chard season and I find kindly souls give you almost as much of this as they do zucchinis. Well l threw this together for a side dish for tonight's(company is here) dinner - You could also serve it as an appetizer. My apology to the Swiss and the Greek the recipe has never seen either country except as a figment of my imagination. Additional information: I was in my favorite deli and she had just opened a large jar of grape leaves and was going to portion them out so I asked for about a dozen, Made up this recipe as small appetizers, after cooking I served them cold, plain with just lemon juice over them. The grape leaf appies are in the recipe picture
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 swiss chard leaves, stems removed and leaves steamed so they are plyable
- 1/4 cup raw rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup fine chopped mushroom
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, fine chopped
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (optional 1/4 tsp dried oregano (use fresh chopped, 1 tsp)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro (use fresh, chopped, 1 tsp)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 3/4 teaspoon hot mixed spice (piri-Piri, Mrs Dash Hot, Denzel's goumet hot - your favorite)
- 3/4 cup your favorite salsa (fresh is best)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Steam the Swiss Chard leaves,stems removed, dash in cold water and open them up on a plate ready for stuffing, you can layer them but it is important to open them fully Cook the rice and set aside.
- 2In a skillet sprayed with veggie oil saute the onions, shallot, garlic& mushrooms until they are lightly browned Add the sundried tomatoes, stir well.
- 3Add cooked rice.
- 4Add pine nuts, stir.
- 5Add 3/4 tsp hot spice mix.
- 6Fill each leaf with at least a teaspoon of the rice mixture.
- 7The amount depends on the size of the leaf.
- 8,turn the side of the leaf toward the top and fold in the sides, roll to make a cigar Place rolled Chard in a lightly sprayed low sided baking dish.
- 9Top with Salsa Place in 400F oven for about 12 minutes.
- 10Sprinkle with parmesan and allow the cheese to turn golden.
- 11Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for SWISS CHARred By GREEK Dolmades
Serving Size: 1 (1136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 40.0
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Sodium 197.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: