Recipe by Hey Jude
I love Swiss chard and really like this recipe combining it with tomatoes and garlic. Recipe from Chicago Trib FOOD section years ago.
Top Review by K-Rhea
This was very good!
I work as a chef at a soup kitchen, so we get a lot of donated produce that I don't alway know what to do with. This recipe was easy and quick to throw together. I did not add the breadcrumbs, but I added a dash of balsamic vinegar, which worked really well with the dish.
- 1 lb red swiss chard or 1 lb green swiss chard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup soft fresh breadcrumb
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small tomatoes, i use italian tomatoes,seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim coarse leaves and thick center ribs from chard; cut tender stems and leaves into 1/2-inch slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet; add bread crumbs; cook, stirring often, until crisp and golden; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Cool skillet slightly; add remaining oil and garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes; add chard and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes; add tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle bread crumbs over the top.