Recipe by NewEnglandCook
A good old New England tradition. Skillet swiss chard sautéed with bacon and tomato. A hearty side dish to serve with your favorite grilled meat. Bacon or salt pork can be used or omitted to make a vegetarian dish.
Top Review by Derf
Very nice way to serve swiss chard. I left out the bacon, personal preference. Also cut back on the olive oil, lovely flavour and it looked very pretty. I forgot to add the balsamic vinegar at the end, but it was delicious anyway. I will make it again, thanks for posting.
- 1 bunch swiss chard, washed and rinsed
- 2-3 slice bacon, rough chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 44.37-59.16 ml olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 113.39 g chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and rinse chard.
- Rough chop chard to 2-3 inches.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and chopped bacon.
- Cook bacon till fat has rendered and crisp.
- Add chard, onion and garlic. Cover.
- Cook till wilted.
- Add salt and red pepper flakes.
- Uncover and as water steams off, add chicken stock, adding more as needed so pan does not burn.
- Lower heat to medium low. Continue to simmer until chard stalks and onion are tender.
- Add slices of tomato. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Dress with balsamic vinegar to taste.