Swiss Chard With Leeks and Shiitakes
- In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Meanwhile, rinse chard and remove stems and ribs.
- Add 2 tablespoons salt and the chard leaves to boiling water. Cook until the greens start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, cool, chop, and set aside.
- Remove tough stems from mushrooms. Rinse and thickly slice caps. Set a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Stir often until the mushrooms start to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan.
- Trim and discard root end and tough green top from leek. Cut stalk in half lengthwise and rinse well under running water. Thinly slice crosswise.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the unwashed pan over high heat. Add leek and stir often until it starts to soften and colors slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and chile flakes; stir until garlic softens, 1 minute.
- Add the chopped chard and mushrooms. Stir until hot, about 2 minutes.