Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was in the Boston Globe this week and says it was adapted from "Lidia's Italy".
Make and share this Swiss Chard With Cannellini Beans and Tomatoes (Boston Globe) recipe from Food.com.
- In large pot, bring 6 quarts of water to boil over high heat.
- Rinse the chard. Cut off and discard the stems at the base of the leaves. Slice the leaves crosswise into 1 inch wide strips.
- Drop the chard into the boiling water. Cover and when it comes back to boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 T of the olive oil with the garlic and red pepper over medium heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until garlic just begins to turn golden.
- Immediately stir in tomato paste, continue cooking and stirring for 1 more minute.
- Add plum tomatoes, turn heat to high and stir constantly for 1 - 2 minutes to soften the tomatoes.
- Add the beans and the chard. Continue cooking over high heat, stirring constantly for 3 more minutes. Lower the heat to medium and stir in 2 T olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer, stirring often for 2 more minutes. Sprinkle with olive oil before serving.
Very tasty side and a wonderful way to use chard. Easy to make.
I did not make this but am wondering how the Nutrition Facts came up with 41% fat. Seems too high considering the ingredients. Only significant source of fat is the olive oil and with 2 bunches of chard, tomatoes, 2 cans beans, it is somewhat diluted in %fat. Appears to be a very healthy recipe