Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The sweetness of the beets and raisins combines nicely with the cheese and the bitterness of the greens. This recipe is from epicurious.com, but I modified it a bit. (This recipe takes 1.5 lbs. red beets - about 3 large). I'll add it to the edited ingredient list, too, but I don't think it will accept the edit as quickly as adding this info to this section.
- 4 lbs swiss chard
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved lengthwise and cut thinly crosswise
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice, drained
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 1⁄2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap beets individually in foil. Roast until beets are tender, about 1 hour. Cool. Peel beets and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover; chill).
- Fold Swiss chard leaves in half lengthwise and cut stalks away from leaves. Cut leaves coarsely into 1-inch pieces. Slice stalks thinly crosswise. Reserve stalks and leaves separately. Cook chopped leaves in large pot of boiled salted water until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain and reserve.
- In a small pan, toast pine nuts. Set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Add sliced stalks; saute until starting to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add onion and next 3 ingredients; saute 3 minutes. Add drained tomatoes and 1 cup raisins. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add chard leaves to pot; stir to heat through. Remove from heat; add lime juice and stir to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer chard mixture to large platter. Sprinkle with beets, goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, and remaining 2 tablespoons raisins.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is fabulous! Loved the earthiness of the chard and beets, Spiciness of the jalapeno and creamy saltiness from the cheese. With a nice crunch from the pine nuts. The beets I used are ones I roasted and canned from the garden. Made for ZWR #8 Lively Lemon Lovelies.