1/3 Photos of Swiss Chard Gratin
1 hr 10 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
Delicious! This goes great with grilled chicken. Fresh breadcrumbs are listed twice, it's not a typo, they're used twice in the recipe. Recipe from the Chicago Tribune.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 lb swiss chard, any color
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1Heat oven to 400°.
- 2Coat the interior of a 1 1/2-quart gratin or baking dish with the softened butter and spoon in the 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs; tilt the dish around until they cover the buttered surface.
- 3Slice the chard stems and leaves into 1 1/2-inch pieces; wash in cold water; drain but don't dry them.
- 4Heat the olive oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat; add the shallot and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute; add the chard, sprinkle with salt; cover tightly and steam until the chard has wilted to half its original volume, about 2-3 minutes; uncover and cook the chard, turning occasionally with tongs, until all the water in the pan evaporates, about 5 more minutes; season with pepper and set aside.
- 5Sauce - melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; whisk in the flour; cook, whisking, until mixture bubbles up and turns lighter in color, about 1 minute; pour in the cold milk all at once; whisk vigorously; add salt and bay leaf; heat, whisking, until it comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes; reduce the heat to low, simmer 2 minutes; stir in the nutmeg, oregano, thyme and 1/2 cup of the cheese; remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- 6Mix the cooked chard and the sauce; spoon into prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs and remaining 1/2 cup cheese; bake until golden and bubbly, 35 minutes.
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Chard Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.9
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 43.2 mg
- Sodium 689.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 10.2 g