Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The Swiss Chard and Artichokes combined with parmesan and mozzarella cheese makes for a unique and tasty pizza. You can use a store bough pizza dough (Trader Joes is good) or use this quick and easy pizza crust. Note: I have revised the recipe and added bacon and more cheese. Select chard with fresh green leaves; avoid those that are yellow or discolored,store unwashed leaves in plastic bags in the crisper in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. This recipe is a spin off from http://www.farmgirlfare.com/
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bunch swiss chard (about 12-16 ounces, separate leaves from stalks and chop into small pieces)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts (water packed,drained and chopped)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 16 -24 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (canned-sliced or fresh-sauted)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Saute onions and swiss chard stalks in olive oil until soft, add garlic and cook another minute or two, add swiss chard leaves and artichoke hearts, cook about 10-12 minutes until swiss chard is tender, stir in worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly,stir in Parmesan cheese.
- In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round. Transfer crust to a lightly greased pizza pan or pizza peel dusted with cornmeal.
- Spread chard mixture over dough, scatter mushrooms on top, lastly sprinkle mozzarella cheese and bacon on top, bake in a preheated 450 oven for 10-12 min., let set 5 minutes before serving.
I like this pizza and the dough. My husband and I ate this pizza because I knew my sons would probably not enjoy the toppings. This was a nice change of pace from the usual pizza. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7 for the Vivacious Violets.
We really enjoyed this pizza dough, though we thought the toppings were just ok. We let the pizza dough rise overnight. I had to use oil packed artichokes, but I rinsed them off before chopping them. I also used fresh cremini mushrooms instead of canned. We grilled the pizzas, as that is how we usually like them prepared, which worked fine. Made for ZWT7