Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Swiss chard is a wonderful green that often gets overlooked. It has a slightly sweet flavor and a firm texture. The combination of Swiss chard, mushrooms and tortellini makes for a hearty and delicious soup. Serve this with garlic rubbed croutons for a filling and comforting meal. The better than bouillon makes for a nice flavor but you could always use chicken broth for this soup if you're not vegetarian:-)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium vidalia onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 lb swiss chard, sliced in ribbons (red, yellow, or white)
- 1 tablespoon better than bouillon vegetable stock base
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb tortellini (fresh or frozen cheese or mushroom filled)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese (optional)
- Heat a stockpot with the olive oil. Add the pepper flakes, rosemary, salt, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute until the onions are just beginning to color and add the mushrooms. Saute for about five minutes or until the mushrooms are losing their liquid.
- Add the Swiss chard and the better than bouillon and cook until the swiss chard is starting to wilt, about three or four minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a gentle boil.
- When the soup is gently boiling add the tortellini.
- If using frozen tortellini allow them to cook for about 5 minutes before adding the tomatoes.
- If using fresh let them cook for about 2 minutes before adding the tomatoes.
- Once you've added the tomatoes stir, reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the vinegar, stirring thoroughly.
- Serve in deep bowls sprinkled with the Romano.
This soup is AWESOME! So good, hearty, and healthy. It immediately became a favorite. I'm so happy that Swiss Chard is back in season so I can make some more!