Top Review by Laughing in the Kitchen
I LOVE THIS SOUP! Yup. I have made it a bunch of times over the last two years, but always forget to rate it. No more! I substitute salt free seasoning (Mrs Dash) for the fennel, and normally cut the recipe in half to not have as many leftovers. I cut everything by hand but it's still a pretty fast soup to pull together. Bravo!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium red onion (5 oz.)
- 1 bunch swiss chard (10 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup penne or 1 cup mostaccioli (other tubular pasta)
- 2 cups canned cannellini, drained (large white beans)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper, freshly ground
- to taste parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Steel knife: With food processor running, drop garlic through feed tube and mince. Add onion and chop coarsely, using 6 to 8 on/off turns.
- Remove leaves from chard and reserve. Cut stems into feed tube lengths.
- Ultra thick: Stand stems in feed tube; slice, using light pressure.
- Heat oil in heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add contents of work bowl and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add stock and water; bring to a boil. Mix in penne and cook 5 minutes.
- Ultra thick: Roll up chard leaves and arrange in feed tube. Slice, using light pressure. Add chard leaves to saucepan.
- Mix in beans, fennel seed, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and cook until penne is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Can be made ahead. Pass the Parmesan cheese.