Recipe by NewEnglandCook
A wonderful way to use swiss chard and ground turkey. I love to serve with hot crusty French bread. This recipe was copied from Yankee Magazine, April 2007.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finally chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 5 cups swiss chard, washed and coarsley chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- finely grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg and water together until blended. Add turkey, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Using moist hands, shape turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place on baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken stock to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add carrots and meatballs. Simmer uncovered 8 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in swiss chard and simmer until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes longer. Correct seasoning.
- Divide mozzarella into six serving bowls and ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with parmesan cheese.