Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vegan soup, can be served as hot or at room temp, It's nice and tart, low in fat high in protein.
- 9 cups water
- 1 cup green lentil, picked through
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed to a paste
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 cup of diced potato (optional)
- Wash the strips of Swiss Chard; drain.
- In a large saucepan put the lentils and about 9 cups of water, place on high heat. Bring
- to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and add the Swiss Chard. Cover and boil gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a skillet, add onions. Cook on medium heat until translucent; add the garlic paste and cilantro and cook gently for 3 minutes; transfer to the saucepan and mix well with the softened chard and the lentils.
- Continue cooking covered for another 45 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Slowly incorporate the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, serve at room temperature.
- In the winter I tend to add potatoes to this soup, making it more hearty. This soup is nice and tart.
Absolutely perfect, although I do make it with half the amount of lemon juice (perhaps I use larger lemons). It works also with brown lentils (I prefer it this way). I like adding the zest of the lemon to it also, and, like the previous reviewer, I prefer adding cilantro at the end.
This was the soup that I posted when this site was called recipezaar.com...thanks for finding my recipe again..