Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
365 Easy Italian Recipes Serves 4-6
- 1 1⁄2 lbs swiss chard
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) canitalian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Separate stems from leaves of chard. Slice stems into 2 inch pieces; set leaves aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook chard stems in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Add chard leaves and cook 3 minutes longer. Drain.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add chard, chickpeas, tomatoes and 1 cup water. Partially cover and simmer 12 minutes or until excess liquid begins to evaporate. Season with salt and pepper.