Recipe by MarieRynr
A really good, make-ahead dish...perfect for potlucks and buffets.
Top Review by Happy Harry #2
"High Five" for this one! My four male college students (all Asian internationals) had never had anything like this before and just loved it!. I did do some tweaking though: Cut butter to 3 tbls using my own Better Butter recipe, cut salt to 1 tsp and used my homemade breadcrumbs just scattered on top without extra butter. Oh, I also grated the carrots on large hole side. This only took 20 minutes in the oven. A sure keeper! Thanks for being such a fine cook!
- 12 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded swiss cheese or 8 ounces jarlsberg cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Prehaet oven to 350*F.
- Cook carrots in slightly salted water until just tender, then drain.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter and saute onion until soft.
- Stir in flour with a whisk. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in seasonings and milk, cooking until thickened.
- In a buttered shallow casserole place half of carrots, all of cheese, then rest of carrots. Pour sauce over all and sprinkle with buttered crumbs.
- Bake 25 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.