Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lighter more Citrus version of old favorite
Make and share this Swiss Carrot Cake With Mascarpone Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 2⁄3 cups almonds, finely ground
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, grated
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 60 g butter, softened
- 60 g mascarpone cheese
- 125 g icing sugar
- Combine carrots, almonds, breadcrumbs, spices & baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat egg yolks until thick, gradually adding sugar, lemon rind and juice, Beat until thick.
- Stir egg yolk mixture into carrot mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold gently into carrot mixture.(do not over mix).
- Grease 20cm (8") cake tin.
- Pour batter into cake tin, and bake in a moderate oven (180 C)for about an hour, cake tester should come out clean.
- cool in tin for 10min then turn out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make icing place butter, cheese and icing sugar in a food processor and beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.
This is a lovely moist cake with loads of flavour. The citrus is a good addition and using almonds and breadcrumbs gave the cake good texture. Loved the mascarpone frosting which I doubled the ingredients for. Thanks Abby P for your recipe!