1/3 Photos of Swiss Carrot Cake
I found this on another site and really enjoyed it. Apparently it's common in Switzerland. It's lighter than the American style carrot cakes, a bit thinner and has a distinct lemon flavour. It also doesn't have any added fats and very little flour, if you're trying to avoid wheat. The original calls for icing the cake but I don't think it's necessary. It's sweet enough on its own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease and flour a 9 inch square cake pan. Preheat oven to about 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Beat the egg yolks into the sugar thoroughly. Add lemon juice and the zest, the carrots, almonds, flour, raisins and baking powder. Mix well.
- 3Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture with a large spoon.
- 4Pour the batter into the pan.
- 5Bake until the cake tests clean and the top has a nice golden colour. In a fan oven this only took me about 20 minutes but the original recipe says to bake for 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.6
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 54.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 3.6 g