Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great way to eat your broccoli...
- 2 1⁄2 lbs broccoli
- 1 cup leeks or 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cut enough 1-inch florets from broccoli to measure 2 cups. Cut rest of broccoli into 1-inch pieces. Cook florets and broccoli separately, in lightly salted water; until just tender. (Florets will be done first.) Immediately rinse in cold water to chill completely. Drain. Set florets aside until serving time.
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks in butter until tender; about 3 - 4 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook for a minute or so, stirring with a whisk. Remove from heat and stir in chicken stock. Return to heat and simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli pieces (not florets) to chicken stock and puree in an electric blender, in batches, until smooth.
- Shortly before serving, blend in cream and cheese. Simmer gently until cheese melts. Add nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Add reserved broccoli florets to heat through. Serve immediately.
I almost always have broccoli on hand and I used some to make his lovely soup for lunch. I really liked the use of Swiss cheese a lot, it's a nice change from Cheddar. Very easy and quick to make also. :D
This is a great variation on broccoli cheese soup. We really enjoyed this. I loved the idea of separating the stems and florets and only blending the stems. Perfect. Thanks for sharing! ZWT7
Made as directed. Awesome as it is, I am curious if Gruyere cheese (a relation to Swiss if not mistaken) would really make this soup over-the-top! :) Thanks, CaliforniaJan! Made for Photo Tag.