Recipe by JackieOhNo!
In this recipe, hearty barley and rich Swiss cheese add a flavorful twist to traditional mushroom soup. You'll find one batch of this filling soup goes a long way.
Top Review by Dib's
I really like this soup. I used 1 cup of milk, 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup of sour cream-I didn't want it super thick (summer and all) and I also added 1 carrot, diced. Will make this again! Made for culinary quest 2015.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms and onion to a bowl; set aside.
- Stir flour into pan drippings; cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Stir in water until smooth. Add barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add bouillon, milk, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and pepper; cook and stir until bouillon is dissolved and cheese is melted. Add the mushroom mixture; heat through.