Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
In this recipe, hearty barley and rich Swiss cheese add a flavorful twist to traditional mushroom soup. You'll find one batch of this filling soup goes a long way.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms and onion to a bowl; set aside.
- Stir flour into pan drippings; cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Stir in water until smooth. Add barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add bouillon, milk, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and pepper; cook and stir until bouillon is dissolved and cheese is melted. Add the mushroom mixture; heat through.
I really like this soup. I used 1 cup of milk, 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup of sour cream-I didn't want it super thick (summer and all) and I also added 1 carrot, diced. Will make this again! Made for culinary quest 2015.
I really liked this soup. It's very filling and has a great taste. I used crimini mushrooms and made the recipe as written. I'll make it again. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Switzerland.
Unfortunately, we are having a June that seems more like November (wet and cold), so this hearty Winter soup sure hit the spot! Very flavorful and VERY filling. Loved the "tang" from the Worcestershire and Swiss cheese. The only change I made was to use chicken stock instead of water, and eliminate the bouillon cubes. Thanks for this keeper, which will go into our regular soup rotation for "real" winter! Made for ZWT 7.