Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mmmm, simple and tasty without an excess of fatty cheese and meat. Very nice with grilled chicken. The butter adds some fat, but some richness, also. From Cooking Light.
- 6 baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Arrange one-third of potato slices in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with one-third of onion slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with one-third of cheese. Repeat layers twice, ending with cheese. Dot with butter. Pour broth over potato mixture.
- Coat top layer with cooking spray. Cover with foil, and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until tender.