Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A rich and decadent side dish! I serve this on special occasions or holidays as a treat.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (8 oz.)
- In a wide frying pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft and liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in sherry, nutmeg and pepper.
- Continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute.
- Turn mixture into a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish and let cool slightly.
- Sprinkle with cheese, then with paprika.
- At this point, you can cover the dish and refrigerate it until the next day.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 425° oven for 8-10 minutes (15-20 minutes if it's been refrigerated) or until bubbly and heated through.
Outstanding!! These mushrooms end up tasting like French Onion Soup flavored mushrooms. We had them with grilled steaks and it was perfect. Thank you Jude!!
Made this dish for Brunch today - excellent flavor and the appearance makes you want to jump right in and devour them. I made them first thing in the AM and popped them into the toaster oven 12 minutes before serving.I think it's great to be able to "Do Ahead" and just finish them before serving I put them in smaller baking dishes, each with a two person serving - looked great Thanks for a repeater Jude