Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Swiss cheese with mushrooms & bacon is my favorite burger topping. So I thought why not make it a meat loaf. I had a lot of fresh herbs on hand so I used them but you could sub dry ones. I put a lot of vegetables in it and that keeps it moist. You can double it if you want very easily.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 ounces swiss cheese
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely cut
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely cut
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely cut
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely cut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion, finely diced (I use the food Processor)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup sauteed mushroom (Already reserved)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cut the cheese in to 2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide strips.
- Set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms with 1 tbsp of the finely diced onion.
- Lightly Salt.
- When golden add 1/4 wine and 1 tsp finely chopped thyme. Let most of the wine cook away.
- Set aside.
- Saute the rest of the onion, celery & red pepper together until soft but not browned.
- In a large bowl mix all the herbs, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, egg, milk with the bread crumbs.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and mix well.
- Using your hands mix in meat.
- Spray a foil lined baking pan with cooking spray.
- Put 2 strips strips of raw bacon down the center ( they will hang off the end of the pan).
- Put two strip of bacon across twice at about 2 inches from the center of the other bacon on either side ( they will hang off the side of the pan).
- Put about half the meat in the centre of the bacon strips and pat into an oval loaf shape.
- Arrange cheese on top of meat.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of mushrooms for sauce.
- Put the rest on top of cheese.
- Pat the rest of the meat over the top of mushrooms taking care to seal seams so that cheese does not leak out.
- Bring ends of bacon up and over the loaf.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hours till bacon is crisped and meat is done.
- Stir flour into reserved mushrooms in a small sauce pan. add wine & stock and cook & stir until thickened & smooth.
Great variation for meatloaf. The recipe was abit confusion to follow but in the end the meatloaf tasted great. I didn't have the fresh herbs so I sub'd dried (1/2 quantity). I increased the beef abit & cut back the cheese. I didn't bother to make the sauce, however, I will next time. Awesome flavours, thanks for sharing.