Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was a staple on the Thanksgiving table at my grammies every year when I was growing up. I now serve it with Ham Loaf. The canned asparagus is on the soft side so if you prefer a firmer vegetable feel free to substitute frozen or fresh (just cook to al dente on the fresh before assembling).
- 2 (595.33 g) can asparagus
- 59.16 ml butter
- 44.37 ml flour
- 118.29 ml Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 29.58 ml celery, chopped
- 14.79 ml onion, chopped
- 354.88 ml milk
- 297.66 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 14.79 ml pimiento
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 158.51 ml breadcrumbs, mixed with
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- Melt the butter with the salt and paprika, add the flour and gradually stir in the milk until the sauce is thick.
- Add the soup and cheese, stir until melted.
- Add the celery, pimento, eggs and onion.
- Alternately layer the asparagus and the sauce in a baking dish.
- Top with the buttered breadcrumbs. Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.