This was a staple on the Thanksgiving table at my grammies every year when I was growing up. I now serve it with Ham Loaf. The canned asparagus is on the soft side so if you prefer a firmer vegetable feel free to substitute frozen or fresh (just cook to al dente on the fresh before assembling).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans asparagus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon pimiento
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1Melt the butter with the salt and paprika, add the flour and gradually stir in the milk until the sauce is thick.
- 2Add the soup and cheese, stir until melted.
- 3Add the celery, pimento, eggs and onion.
- 4Alternately layer the asparagus and the sauce in a baking dish.
- 5Top with the buttered breadcrumbs. Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Asparagus Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.5
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 450.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: