Recipe by Marney
This was a staple on the Thanksgiving table at my grammies every year when I was growing up. I now serve it with Ham Loaf. The canned asparagus is on the soft side so if you prefer a firmer vegetable feel free to substitute frozen or fresh (just cook to al dente on the fresh before assembling).
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans asparagus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon pimiento
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter with the salt and paprika, add the flour and gradually stir in the milk until the sauce is thick.
- Add the soup and cheese, stir until melted.
- Add the celery, pimento, eggs and onion.
- Alternately layer the asparagus and the sauce in a baking dish.
- Top with the buttered breadcrumbs. Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.